Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cass' Not-so-Noodley Lasagna

Who could have known.. that this....

this...
and this...
could lead to.... THIS

I don't know if you're like me, but if you are.. you'll like this lasagna.
I always feel that there is too much noodle and not enough 'guts' in lasagna.

So, after a few stabs at lasagna that were less than satisfying, I decided to make my own recipe.
Here are the things I think make this experiment delicious:

1. Fresh Mozzarella
2. Zucchini
3. Sweet Onions
4. Sauce & guts: pasta

Here's what I used:

1 1/2 jars Fire Roasted Tomato (Newman's Own) Sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes w/ garlic
1/2 a sweet white onion
3/4 lb of fresh mozzarella cheese
8 oven ready-no boil lasagna noodles
5/6 lb of ground beef
Small container of Part-skim ricotta
Oregano
Basil
Pepper
Salt
Parmesan cheese

Mix Meat & 1 jar of sauce this will be referred to as meat&sauce.

First thing I did was put a bit of the meat&sauce into the bottom, followed by a bit of zucchini & onion, then the can of diced tomatoes (no juice).


Second thing, was add 4 noodles crossways.
I put some ricotta down on there... then most of the zucchini, some onion, some seasoning here & there.
Then I added all the meat sauce I had.
Then a few slices of mozzarella..


Next, 4 more pieces of lasagna crosswise.
Then use the 1/2 jar of sauce, 4 more dollops of ricotta, rest of zucchini, some onion..

and top it off with TONS of mozzarella.

Finish with some parmesan, pepper, oregano, basil, salt.

Bake at 375ยบ for 40-50 minutes.
This will be your result. I did have to drain it a bit, but I think that the flavor was just right, so I wouldn't change the recipe I would just drain a bit out.




This was definitely the best lasagna I have had. Perfect combo.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

This looks so yummy! I love lasagna! :)