Sunday, October 19, 2008

Blueberry Scones

I got this recipe from the "Baking in America" book Steph got me for Christmas last year.

Here's what you need:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
8 TB butter
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh (NOT THAWED) blueberries
1 1/4 cups buttermilk


Here's what you do:

preheat oven 350ยบ
line baking sheet with parchment paper
cut butter into 1 TB size slices (HAVE TO DO THIS!!!)

Then put flour, baking soda, salt and 4 TB of sugar in a bowl.

Add the butter pieces and use a pastry blender or 2 knives (pastry blender is MUCH MUCH easier).. Then with your hands it says to work the butter into Large Flakes (make sure the dough is cold.. if you have to put it in the fridge for a while, do so)...
This is the best I could do.




Then add Blueberries and toss to coat evenly.


Then pour everything but 1 TB buttermilk in and FOLD GENTLY with a rubber spatula until the dry stuff is moist stuff. You will have a thick dough.



Scrape it out onto a lightly floured surface and dust with flour.



Then form it into an 8-in circle


Spread the remaining buttermilk over the top.


Sprinkle 4 TB sugar over the top. YUM.


Then take a knife and cut into quarters, then in half again to have 8 wedges.


Then transfer to baking sheet and bake 25 minutes until golden-ish.


Then move them to a cooling rack..

YUMMY YUMMY in my Tummy!
****EDIT*****
After eating one of these post warmth, I'd say that they need to be baked a little longer... or for the same amount of time at a higher temperature. I like my scones to be drier than these are.
I'll try them again sometime and then repost.

1 comment:

Brianne said...

Oh my goodness, you must have baked all day! :)