Saturday, October 25, 2008

red velvet cake

Here's a recipe from a cookbook (thanks sally for that correction) my mom bought me for my birthday ... well I picked it out, she gave me the $$. ;)
There are some really excellent recipes in here that I want to try.
Here's what you need: ( I made a 1/2 recipe because I just needed a small cake)
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3TB red food coloring
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar


Preheat oven to 350ยบ, prepare pans with butter or baking spray OR parchment paper

First Cream butter and sugar in bowl using mixer for about 5 minutes.
then add egg yolks and beat again for 1 min
in another bowl stir cocoa, food coloring and vanilla extract..



add both flour and cocoa to butter mixture.. alternating with small amounts of the flour mixture, then cocoa mix.
in a third bowl combine buttermilk and salt and add this to the mix, mix well
Last in a 4th bowl, combine vinegar and soda, then slowly add to mix and blend until creamy. When fully mixed, pour into pan (if using full recipe, use 2 9 in rounds)
Bake for about 30 minutes, until insert toothpick and comes out clean.



Let cool.
If you are using full recipe slice both cake rounds into layers as shown below.


After cake is completely cool, you can Ice it. The icing recipe I used is one container of cool whip, one package of cream cheese and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Mix together and ice between the layers.



Then cover the whole cake. Once I find some raspberries I'll put them on top! Yummy??! we shall see!

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

Oh, my, I LOVE red velvet cake! I am so NOT a baker, but I am really tempted to try this recipe! Or maybe I'll give it to my mom (who loves to bake) so that she can bake it for me!

Maryanne said...

I was going to comment after you on my blog, but didn't know if you'd see it! How are you?! Your cooking blog is so fun!

Unknown said...

Aaron's Grandma Wood often would make Red Velvet Cakes, not sure if remembers that -- but you did a beautiful job!
On another note, has Aaron asked you to toast pumpkin seeds yet to snack on?

Anonymous said...

Yummy yummy in my tummy! I love your glasses!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cass! Isn't this the cake you made for my birthday? It was delicious!! Thank you so much.

Cass in NYC said...

yes jackie it is! =)
glad you liked it!